We are happy to announce that our Office Web Apps Server is going to be upgraded to the newest version available: Office Online.
The highlights of the upcoming release are:
Office icons in the resource section: Teachers can now easily create Office Online documents (Word, PowerPoint & Excel) by clicking the familiar Office icons in the Resource section in a course.
Comment: annotate in Office Online documents to keep track of changes, cooperate with others or give your feedback.
Real-time co-authoring: teacher can now collaborate with colleagues on documents or give students access to collaborate in Word, PowerPoint or Excel.
- Auto save: Office Online documents will now auto save while you work on them.
Office icons in the resource section and the library
Teachers can now easily create Office documents right from within a course or the library and forget about installing office packages on every device. Permissions to read and/or edit the Office documents are given just as with other resources. Office Online documents are stored in itslearning, and can be accessed on your favorite devices.
Device accessability (please note: Chrome books also facilitates view and edit)
Real time co-authoring
Teacher can now collaborate with colleagues on documents or give students access to collaborate in Excel, Word or PowerPoint. When multiple users are editing the same document simultaneously, they will see each other’s changes in real time (as long as they are in edit mode).
Teachers can now annotate in documents to keep track of changes, cooperate with others or provide feedback.
Office Online documents will now auto save while you work on them.
Teachers collaborating in Office Online document
1) Teacher #1 creates Word Online file in the resource section and adds content
2) Teacher #2 opens the document and adds content.
3) Teacher #1 opens the document, sees teacher #2’s content and continue to add content.
Students collaborate in Office Online document
1) Teacher creates PowerPoint Online file in the resource section and give two students permission to edit the document
2) Student #1 opens the document and adds content
3) Student #2 opens the document, sees student #2’s content and continue to add content.
4) Teacher opens the document and add comments for the students to see
Office Online in assignments
Pilot customer that have Office Online enabled in the Assignment tool can continue to use it. Please note that we’re working on new enhanced features for file handling, assignments, annotations, etc. for Back to School this year. This work will have positive impact on how we use Office Online in itslearning.